3.2. Multiaxis system¶
This manual describes start with multi-axis system (8SMC4-36) based on 8SMC4-USB motor controller. 8SMC4-USB getting started descibed in overview and getting started chapter. Multi-axis system operates from 220 V and it allows to control 36 axis simultaneously.
3.2.2. Required components¶
DHCP server is needed for control of multi-axis system via local network. You should know ip address of your devices in network.
3.2.3. Getting started with multi-axis XiLab.¶
Connect 220V and Ethernet cable to multi-axis system. Press Power On/Off button at the back panel. After 2 minutes 8SMC4-B36 is ready to use. It needs time to start operating system on board computer for multi-axis system control.
At start you need XILab with multi-axis support version 1.13.x or newer. Link to download. Setup process and getting started with XILab is described here. For complete information please refer to XILab application User’s guide.
The setting up access to remote controllers via Ethernet is described in Working over network chapter. In controller detection window choose an axis you need. You can control it in single-axis mode or in multi-axis mode if more than one axis was chosen. For additional information please refer to Getting started with XILab software and XILab application User’s guide
3.2.4. Multi-axis system temperature control.¶
Multi-axis system 8SMC4-36 is able to control heating of its controller’s during operation. It can measure temperature of circulating air via thermal resistors. With temperature increase speed of cooling system fans rotating will increase too.
At temperature of circulation air about \(25 ^oC\) cooling system is at \(10\%\) of its maximal power. \(100\%\) of power achieves with temperature about \(25 ^oC\).
All of the following notes are for a multi-axis system version 1.1.
Main problems related to multi-axis system operation:
- When powered from 110V full power is limited to 1 kW;
- While simultaneous emergency stop of several axes occurs at high power motors, there can be short-term connection loss with a multi-axis system control interface;
- There is possible a failure with consiquent axes rediscovery in OS due to modules hot plug;
- When updating the firmware, controllers can lose USB connection, and are not available in XiLab, until the system is restarted;
- It is possible that when inserting the module in the operating system, it is not energized and fails to work.
Structural defects of the multi-axis system that may be encountered during disassembly and assembly:
- ic9xbb board. Silkscreen P1 - P5 must be on the other side of the corresponding connectors;
- ic9xbb board. Mixed up silkscreen of P1 and P3 connectors.